Réunion du comité exécutif 2014.08

Les procès-verbaux des réunions seront bilingues dans ce sens que les interventions et les propositions y seront apportées dans la langue où elles ont été faites.

Minutes of the Meeting held 13:30 October 28, 2014, in room CBY A-707

PRESENT:

C. Laguë (Dean), H. Tezel (Vice-Dean, Research), M. Labrosse (Interim Vice-Dean Graduate Studies), M. Turcotte (Vice-Dean, Undergraduate Studies), T. Lethbridge (Vice-Dean, Governance), N. Baddour (Chair, MCG), S. Vanapalli (Chair, CVG), D. Taylor (Chair, CHG), C. D’Amours, (Director, EECS), H. Viktor (EECS-CSI), V. Samson (Manager of Marketing and Communications), L. Roy (Assistant to the Dean), S. Gandolfini (Chief Administrative Officer), C. Blais (Manager, Faculty Development)

EXCUSED:

J. Zhang (Vice-Dean, International Affairs), K. Bournes (Alumni Relations Officer)

14.08.01 Approval of the Agenda

The agenda was approved

14.08.02 Presentation by Alexandre Yeuchyk, Teaching and Learning Support Service

A. Yeuchyk works for the ‘Blended Initiative’. He discussed characteristics of blended learning, including the importance of collaboration and peer-evaluation. He contrasted this with ‘flipped learning’ where the professor simply puts material online and class time is used to answer questions. The university wants to have 1000 courses in blended mode by 2020. TLSS provides financial resources and expertise to help create blended courses. It takes 4-8 months to create a well-designed such course. He discussed results of a survey of students; students are mostly satisfied with blended courses.

Currently there are no blended courses in the Faculty of Engineering. TLSS has prepared a video for those interested in developing such courses; hands-on workshops will also be offered.

There was discussion regarding various issues related to blended courses. It was noted that professors retain the copyright to their course material.

14.08.03 Minutes of the last meeting (Sep 23rd)

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved.

14.08.04 Business arising

4.1 Items in the Dean’s report.

The Dean was invited by Invest Ottawa to a brainstorming session on the tech sector. There was discussion about attracting and retaining talent. There was discussion of the co-op program. Our program was perceived as needing to improve in terms of business-friendliness (in the manner the co-op office does business with companies). Bruce Lazenby has agreed to help us improve our processes.

Health Sciences is going through a process of reviewing how their support services are managed with the help of people from the Human Resources department and an external consultant; this process has taken most of this year. Health Sciences are very satisfied with the result, and are acting on the results already. The Dean suggested taking a similar approach and the Executive agreed. The Dean will follow up for the next meeting.

4.2 A Vision for 2020

The vision was approved as follows.

We educate creative engineers and computer scientists who solve the world’s problems by engaging with communities locally and globally. We advance knowledge by defying the conventional.

Nous formons des ingénieur(e)s et des informaticien(ne)s créatifs et engagés avec les communautés qui trouvent des solutions aux problèmes qui confrontent l’humanité. Nous faisons progresser les connaissances en défiant les conventions.

4.3 Updated 2011 – 2016 Action Plan

The action plan was approved . It is attached to the minutes.

4.4 Description of academic leadership positions

The descriptions of the positions were approved. EECS will use the term ‘associate director’ for CSI, ELG, SEG, CEG OCICS and OCIECE. It was agreed to standardize and use the term ‘associate chair’ for undergraduate and graduate program leaders at both undergraduate and graduate levels in the departments (the EMP program leader would be an exception, and would remain ‘director’).

 

 

Salary

Research

Course

Course relief

Cost

 

Position

Number

stipend

funds

relief

Cost

per position

Total

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dean

1

29,307 $

15,000 $

4

32,000 $

76,307 $

76,307 $

 

 

 

Vice-Dean

 

 

Research

1

20,000 $

20,000 $

2

16,000 $

56,000 $

56,000 $

UG Studies

1

20,000 $

20,000 $

2

16,000 $

56,000 $

56,000 $

G Studies

1

20,000 $

20,000 $

2

16,000 $

56,000 $

56,000 $

International Affairs

1

20,000 $

20,000 $

2

16,000 $

56,000 $

56,000 $

Governance

1

7,500 $

7,500 $

1

8,000 $

23,000 $

23,000 $

 

 

 

Department Chair

3

20,000 $

20,000 $

2

16,000 $

56,000 $

168,000 $

School Director

1

20,000 $

20,000 $

2

16,000 $

56,000 $

56,000 $

 

 

 

Faculty Coordinator

 

 

Entrepreneurship & Innovation

1

7,500 $

7,500 $

1

8,000 $

23,000 $

23,000 $

Quality Assurance

1

7,500 $

7,500 $

1

8,000 $

23,000 $

23,000 $

 

 

 

Coordinator of program of studies

 

UG (normal)

8

7,500 $

7,500 $

1

8,000 $

23,000 $

184,000 $

UG (review years)

8

7,500 $

7,500 $

2

16,000 $

31,000 $

248,000 $

G (normal)

10

7,500 $

7,500 $

1

8,000 $

23,000 $

230,000 $

G (review years)

10

7,500 $

7,500 $

2

16,000 $

31,000 $

310,000 $

The updated position descriptions and compensation packages are attached to the minutes.

4.6 External relations: Top-5 action list

The following action items were approved:

  • Involve industry leaders and alumni in the classroom, competitions, and advisory boards – arrange for them to judge projects, mentor, and coach teams and clubs, and speak at events.
  • Cultivate a culture of pride in students and faculty members, a sense of belonging, being part of a family and part of the solution. To do this, engage with students from the day they apply to the day they graduate, and beyond to the day they need help with their career and the day they make it big.
  • Specifically, organize and improve events for students graduating from both undergraduate and graduate programs, welcoming them to the alumni network
  • Brag about our students, teachers and innovations.
  • Create advisory boards for all programs or groups of programs
  • Meet with alumni while travelling.

Regarding the third item, the Dean will write a letter that will be sent to all graduating students. It was suggested that a video also be prepared to present the notion of being an alumnus to students in an enthusiastic manner. It could show successful alumni, and would point out that students remain part of the university family; the university will continue to support them, while they support the university. It would be presented at an event such as a breakfast to students about to graduate.

Regarding advisory boards: There is a need to establish objectives. It was suggested that these might include having board members a) give feedback about the extent to which programs are preparing students for real job requirements, b) helping validate the graduate attributes and indicators used for accreditation, c) helping connect students and professors with jobs, co-op jobs and research opportunities, and d) help advise about continuing education.

14.08.05 Report of the Dean

5.1 The Dean submitted a written report (attached)

The Dean briefly discussed issues relating to the CERC in Quantum Nonlinear Photonics and the Advanced Research Complex.

5.2 Fraud Case

The Dean presented a fraud case. The Executive approved the imposition of sanction k) suspension from the Faculty for one academic year, to be applied if and once the student is readmitted from his current suspension, which is for academic performance reasons. The motion was approved with one against and one abstention.

5.3 Information items

There have been few registrations continuing education courses. The courses are being postponed.

The site visit for the NSERC Chair in Entrepreneurial Design Engineering will take place on December 8, 2014. Meetings are being held with UOttawa stakeholders to ensure everybody understands the proposal.

There have been several proposals to repurpose STE1030. The Faculty Space Committee will be meeting in the next month and will discuss this matter.

The Ceremonies of Excellence are coming up on Nov 11th and 18th.

Entrepreneurship week is from Nov 17th to 21st.

The accreditation visit is Nov 27th to 29th. Program leaders need to have dry-run meetings with professors and students, especially regarding graduate attributes.

14.08.06 Report of the Vice-Dean (Research)

6.1 Research Advisory Committee

The Vice-Dean still needs names for this committee.

6.2 Other matters

The deadline for RTIs was yesterday and the deadline for Discovery grants is coming up.

We are in the hiring process for a second research facilitator.

CFIs are ongoing; another competition is coming up.

Preparation of the UAE letter of intent is going well.

14.08.07 Report of the Vice Dean (Graduate Studies)

Five Vanier Scholarship applications and 12 NSERC doctoral PGS applications have been submitted. NSERC masters applications and OGS have a Dec 1 deadline.

A total of 91 graduate students will receive awards at the Excellence Breakfast.

Several professors are requesting to allow telepresence of examiners using a tool such as Skype. Currently the university’s official teleconference system is allowed. There was discussion, and it was concluded that flexibility is key. Any telepresence system can fail, as can physical presence, due to flight problems.

The graduate office is proposing to have final exams managed at the graduate office, rather than by individual professors. It was suggested that this ultimately be a shared service with the undergraduate office.

14.08.08 Reports of the Vice-Dean (Undergraduate Studies)

The schedule for the CEAB visit is being worked on. Some accreditation activities will be held on the Saturday morning, so certain professors need to prepare to be available as early as 8 a.m. Chairs and program co-ordinators will need to come in the afternoon.

We will not be providing material in advance of the visit.

Some regulation changes will need to me made to adapt to the capabilities of the new SIS.

The Vice-Dean discussed admission averages and admissions statistics.

14.08.09 Report of the Vice-Dean (International Affairs)

The Vice-Dean was away.

14.08.10 Reports from the Chairs/Directors

CVG is requesting graduate attribute data from professors every year. It was suggested to have trained TAs who can help gather this data. There was discussion of the type of person who could be hired for this.

14.08.11 Other Business

Since the meeting ran over its planned time, it was decided that reports from others attending the meeting would be submitted electronically

The meeting was adjourned at 4:47.

                                                                    Timothy C. Lethbridge, Vice-Dean (Governance)

Haut de page